The Emmys are tonight and that means it’s time for our yearly 3 hours of outrage. Like in any award show, if the one we want to wins does it, we feel validated. If it doesn’t, then the Academy sucks and it’s wrong and we don’t care about these dumb awards anyway.
In any case, here are my predictions for the 10 top Emmy categories:
EDIT: Updated to see which ones where right or wrong. Green is right, red is wrong. I got 5/10 correct, but if we take into accounts the ones I wanted to win and actually did (shame on me, of little faith) I got 8/10.
Best Comedy Series:“The Big Bang Theory”, “Louie”, “Modern Family”, “Orange Is the New Black”, “Silicon Valley”, “Veep”
- Should win: Silicon Valley. Though it took a while to get any traction, the fact that it’s nominated on it first season speaks volumes. Funny, incisive, and the best dick joke you’ll ever see.
- Will win: Modern Family. Because the Academy is boring.
Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Lena Dunham, “Girls”, Edie Falco, “Nurse Jackie”, Julia Louis Dreyfus, “Veep”, Melissa McCarthy, “Mike & Molly”, Amy Poehler, “Parks & Recreation”, Taylor Schilling, “Orange Is the New Black”
- Should win: Amy Poehler. She deserves it. While her work on S6 of Parks and Rec wasn’t particularly outstanding, she’s been hitting it out of the park for years.
- Will win: Julia Louis Dreyfus. She’s amazing, of course. And deserves it. But still, Poehler!
Best Actor in a Comedy Series: Jim Parsons, “The Big Bang Theory”, Ricky Gervais, “Derek”, Matt LeBlanc, “Episodes”, Don Cheadle, “House of Lies”, Louis C.K., “Louie”, William H. Macy, “Shameless”
- Should win: Louie. C.K. It’s a particularly week crop this year, with Derek, Episodes and House of Lies being so-so in quality, and Louie and Shameless not being really comedies. SO I’ll go with the guy who made me laugh and cringe the most of these: Louie.
- Will win: Jim Parsons, no question. Sure, Sheldon’s a great character and Parsons plays the hell out of him. But he’ll win because the other shows and/or nominees don’t figure on the voters’ mind.
Supporting Actor, Comedy Series: Andre Braugher, “Brookiyn Nine-Nine”, Adam Driver, “Girls”, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, “Modern Family”, Ty Burrell, “Modern Family”, Fred Armisen, “Portlandia”, Tony Hale, “Veep”
Supporting Actress, Comedy Series: Mayim Bialik, “The Big Bang Theory”, Julie Bowen, “Modern Family”, Allison Janney, “Mom”, Kate Mulgrew, “Orange Is the New Black”, Kate McKinnon, “Saturday Night Live”, Anna Chlumsky, “Veep”
- Should win: Kate Mulgrew. While OITNB falls more on the drama side (or dramedy, if anything), Mulgrew has shown comedy chops to go along the drama.
- Will win: Mayim Bialik. I honestly have no idea, but The Big Bang Theory is a popular show, or so I’ve heard. So yeah, Bialik.
Best Drama Series: “Breaking Bad”, “Downton Abbey”, “Game of Thrones”, “House of Cards”, “Mad Men”, “True Detective”
- Should win: Breaking Bad. While I found the finale underwhelming, its last 7 episode run was nothing short on amazing on all levels.
- Will win: True Detective. Movie stars + HBO.
Best Actress in a Drama Series: Lizzy Caplan, “Masters of Sex”, Claire Danes, “Homeland”, Michelle Dockery, “Downton Abbey”, Julianna Margulies, “The Good Wife”, Kerry Washington, “Scandal”, Robin Wright, “House of Cards”
- Should win: TATIANA MASLANY. But she isn’t nominated, so I’ll go with Lizzy Caplan. She’s always great, but the first season of Masters of Sex pushed her to her limits and she was amazing-
- Will win: Robin Wright. I think it’s time Netflix figured here somehow, and Robin Wright had more to do in the second season of House of Cards.
Best Actor in a Drama Series: Bryan Cranston, “Breaking Bad”, Jeff Daniels, “The Newsroom”, Jon Hamm, “Mad Men”, Woody Harrelson, “True Detective”, Matthew McConaughey, “True Detective”, Kevin Spacey, “House of Cards”
- Should win: Bryan Cranston. Ozymandias was not only the best episode of TV from last year, it’s one of the best episodes ever. And it all begins with its lead, Cranston.
- Will win: Matthew McConaughey. We already know we’re in a McConaissance, so the Academy will follow suit and give him another award. Although Jeff Daniels unexplainably won last year, so anything could happen.
Supporting Actor, Drama Series: Aaron Paul, “Breaking Bad”, Jim Carter, “Downton Abbey”, Peter Dinklage, “Game of Thrones”, Josh Charles, “The Good Wife”, Mandy Patinkin, “Homeland”, Jon Voight, “Ray Donovan”
- Should win: Aaron Paul. Although Jesse was relegated to the background in these last couple of episodes, his work was always on point. His face of pain when being tortured (both physically and emotionally) and his joyless scream at finally getting away from everything are award-worthy.
- Will Win: Aaron Paul. I’m being optimistic here, in that this is the only category my should win/will win are the same. Also, I have a feeling True Detective might shut out Breaking Bad, so maybe they’ll give it something in this category.
Supporting Actress, Drama Series: Anna Gunn, “Breaking Bad”, Maggie Smith, “Downton Abbey”, Lena Headey, “Game of Thrones”, Christine Baranski, “The Good Wife”, Christina Hendricks, “Mad Men”, Joanne Froggatt, “Downton Abbey”
- Should win: Anna Gunn. Mainly, just to spurn the Skyler haters. But also because she deserves it.
- Will win: I don’t know, honestly. But let’s say Christina Hendricks.